Pal-Mac History Clubs Are Going Strong!

By: Linda Braun, Town of Macedon Historian and Macedon Historical Society Secretary An AMAZING field trip was held this past week! On Wednesday, March 16, nineteen young people and their teacher came to visit the historic Macedon Academy, located at 1185 Macedon Center Rd, in Macedon Center.  Built in 1853, this building is a cornerstone…

Read More

Corning Glass Museum’s GlassBarge passing through Macedon

The GlassBarge passing the Mid Lakes marina heading east.

The Corning Museum of Glass had a touring glass making demostration known as the GlassBarge. It toured all over New York State on the Erie Canal. On August 27, 2018 it passed through Macedon on it’s way to Palmyra. Click images to enlarge. Back to recent events The GlassBarge passing the Mid Lakes marina heading…

Read More

Quaker/O’Neil Bridge Converted to Pedestrian Use

On June 1, 2017 the bridge that carried Quaker/O’neil Road over the canal was converted to pedestrian use only. It was built in 1914 and no longer was capable of handling vehicular traffic. As a pedestrian bridge, it is used as part of the Erie Canalway Trail to allow people to cross the canal as…

Read More

Genesee Brewery Fermentation Tanks in Macedon

Three tanks passing Mid-Lakes Marina.

In late May, 2017 twelve fermentation tanks bound for the Genesee Brewery passed through Macedon on the Canal. Click images to enlarge. Back to recent events. A group of spectators watch the first barges heading west. Three tanks passing Mid-Lakes Marina. The first six tanks on two barges arriving from the east. Hundreds…

Read More

RG&E Transformers Arriving in Macedon

The transformers on the barge after their arrival at Lock 30.

In late October, 2015 two transformers arrived in Macedon on the Canal. Click images to enlarge. Back to recent events. In late October, 2015 two transformers arrived in Macedon on the Canal. This article from the Times of Wayne County gives all the details. The transformers on the barge after their arrival at Lock 30.…

Read More

Frederick Douglass’s Visit to Macedon

Frederick Douglass

February 25, 2015This article is contributed by June Hamell, Macedon Town Historian,Linda Braun, Village of Macedon Historian and Sandy Pagano, Presidentof the Macedon Historical Society: It was in August 1849 that Frederick Douglass visited the First Baptist Church of Macedon, NY. His visit was recorded in the book, “First Baptist Church of Macedon, A History…

Read More

Philomathean Society at the Macedon Academy

MARCH 16, 2014 JUNE HAMELLWe found a journal of the Philomathean Society at the Academy. It is dated on the first page as August 1850. The first entry:At a convention of teachers and students at the Macedon Academy on Friday the twenty fifth day of April A.D. 1845 Stephen Wood was chosen chairman and Gideon…

Read More

Temperance in Macedon

Souvenir card from the 50th anniversary of the monument.

This article was printed July 4, 1980 for the dedication of the new temperance monument – author unknown. Since 1845, a Temperance Monument has stood in Macedon Center, inscribed, “Total Abstinence 1845”. Macedon Center since has always remained dry but King Alcohol finally got to the rest of the town. In the early 1840’s, a…

Read More

Gold Rush Carpenters?

A daguerreotype of four carpenters is in the possession of the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) Photography Department.  The individuals are identified as Edwin Green (holding an adz), Crosby (holding a hammer and saw), Peter Elebash (seated holding a square and weight for the plumb line) and L. Arnold (seated sharpening the blade and…

Read More

Cattail Harvesting in Macedon

Rush is cut by hand and bundled in a swamp and then transported to the farm.

Two types of cattail leaves are harvested in Wayne County. One type known as ‘Cooper’s Flag’ is used in the manufacturing of wooden barrels. The other type is ‘Rush’ and it is used for caning chairs. Rush was harvested on the south side of Macedon for many years by Ward Russell. His son, Stephen, still…

Read More