The area along Route 31 east of the village where Berry Plastics and Gravino Park are now located has changed extensively over the years.
Click the images to enlarge and view information.
In 1938 the area was undeveloped.
a. Route 31 still followed the original road that connected Main Street with O'Neil Road.
b. The unused right of way of the Rochester, Syracuse and Eastern trolley line is visible.
By 1954 the area was becoming developed.
a. Route 31 has been moved to the former right of way of the RS&E trolley line.
b. Macedon Auto Parts has been developed on both sides of Route 31.
c. GLF had a canning operation in the west end of the area. Kordite bought some of the buildings and moved here in 1951.
By 1963 Kordite had expanded greatly and had been purchased by Mobil.
4. circa 2010
This recent view shows that Mud Creek has been rerouted to a more southerly course. The auto scrap yard has been replaced by Gravino Park.
5. circa 1951 - Don Lyke air photo.
This wonderful bird's eye view was supplied by Don Lyke of Newark. About 1951 his father, Donald William Lyke, had the aerial photo taken to use on a post card advertising the Macedon Auto Parts operation. Donald W. started the business in 1946 and he and his wife, Margaret Goethals Lyke, lived in the small house next to the gas station. At the time of this picture they were building the larger house to the left. The small house was sold and moved to Quaker Road east of O'Neil Road. It was small enough that it could be transported intact over the canal bridge. It is still in use. When the property was sold to Mobil the large house was moved to Railroad Street in the village and is also still in use.